These machines have many sorts of applications in many industries, including
- Ethanol plants (grains).
- A farm machine, which mills grain into coarse flour to be fed to livestock
- Fluff pulp de-fiberizing.
- Fruit juice production.
- Grinding used shipping pallets for mulch.
- Milling grain.
- Sawmills, size reduction of trim scrap and planer shavings into boiler fuel or mulch.
- Shredding paper.
- Shredding scrap automobiles (see automotive shredder residue).
- Shredding yard and garden waste for composting.
- Crushing large rocks.
- In waste management.
Many factors determine the overall capacity of hammer mills. These critical aspects include the following
- Characteristics of materials to be crushed
- Nature or type of the crushing hammers or knives
- Number of rows of crushing hammers or knives
- Feed size